Coronavirus live news: Madrid suspends vaccinations after running out of doses; Cyprus eases lockdown
- AstraZeneca denies pulling out of EU vaccine meeting
- Germany expected to tighten borders to control spread of variants
- China to use anal swabs to test for Covid in high infection areas
- New Zealand: two new cases emerge in people who had left quarantine
- UK coronavirus updates – live
The British home secretary Priti Patel has outlined new rules for tighter border controls amid unprecendented pressure on the UK health service and over 100,000 Covid-19 deaths.
Patel said too many people are coming in and out of the country every day, but told MPs on Wednesday more details will be set out by the health department next week.
Firstly, the police have stepped up checks and are carrying out more physical checks at addresses to ensure that people are complying with the self-isolation rules.
Second, we will continue to refuse entry to non-UK residents from red-list countries which are already subject to the UK travel ban.
The European Union health commissioner has said that AstraZeneca has committed to providing the bloc with doses from four plants, including two in Britain, Reuters reports.
Stella Kyriakides told a news conference that the company had legal obligations to comply with the contract.