Coronavirus live news: UK passes 30m vaccinations; France accelerates rollout
- ‘Lack of perspective’: why Von der Leyen’s EU vaccine strategy is failing
- Moderna jab to be introduced in UK in April, minister confirms
- Mexico Covid death toll leaps 60% to reach 321,000
- 5,000 attend rock concert in Barcelona after Covid screening
- Lorry drivers coming to England for more than two days need test
Dr Mike Tildesley, a member of the Scientific Pandemic Influenza Modelling group (SPI-M), the modelling subgroup of Sage, said the UK will need to send vaccine supplies abroad if it wants a return to international travel.
He told BBC News on Sunday that while the vaccine programme could allow the UK to return to a “level of freedom”, other countries will take a long time to roll out jabs.
So we do need to look more widely, if we want to have a free UK as we did 18 months ago, but also allow international travel, we do need to think about sending vaccines to those countries where they are not able to acquire the levels of vaccines we have been able to.”
The United Arab Emirates and China have announced a venture to produce the Sinopharm coronavirus vaccine in the Gulf nation, state media has reported.
The UAE’s Group 42 and China’s CNBG “have launched a joint project … to initiate the first Covid-19 vaccine production line in the UAE”, said official Emirati news agency Wam.