Coronavirus live: WHO warns Europe of Covid spikes if curbs eased prematurely as France aims to relax curfew in May
- Pfizer/BioNTech jab may be offered to 12-year-olds in Europe from June
- US states moving to lift mask requirements as vaccination rates slow
- Arundhati Roy on India’s Covid catastrophe
- ‘It’s everywhere you look’: Guardian readers in India on the Covid crisis
- UK coronavirus updates – live
The UK government has announced that more than 34 million people have been given a first dose of Covid-19 vaccine, while a further 2,445 have contracted the disease, up slightly on the day before.
There were 22 new deaths recorded within 28 days of a positive test, compared with the 29 deaths recorded on Wednesday.
A reminder that the US embassy in India has issued an alert to its citizens in the country, stating that “access to all types of medical care is becoming severely limited”.
US citizens who wish to depart India should take advantage of available commercial transportation options now. Direct flights between India and the United States are offered daily, with additional flight options available to US citizens via transfers in Paris and Frankfurt.